Buy with Prime Privacy Notice
Last Updated: June 29, 2023
Buy with Prime enables you to (a) integrate the Amazon Prime shopping experience into your direct-to-consumer selling channels via the Buy with Prime Merchant Console; and (b) develop and provide your own services, products, and applications to users of the Buy with Prime Merchant Console via the Buy with Prime Partner Portal. This Privacy Notice describes how Amazon.com Services LLC (“Amazon,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) collects and uses your personal information in relation to Buy with Prime websites, applications, products, services, events, and experiences that reference this Privacy Notice (together, “Buy with Prime Services”). This Privacy Notice applies to you if you interact with Buy with Prime Services or visit our Buy with Prime websites.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to the collection and processing of Amazon Prime members’ personal information by Amazon.com and its affiliates when handling “Buy with Prime” orders. To learn more about that, please see the Amazon.com Privacy Notice here. This Privacy Notice also does not apply to any products, services, websites, or content that are offered by third parties or have their own privacy notice.
- Personal Information We Collect
- How We Use Personal Information
- How We Share Personal Information
- Location of Personal Information
- How We Secure Information
- Access and Choice
- Children's Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Contacts, Notices, and Revisions
- EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield
- Additional State-Specific Privacy Disclosures
- Examples of Information Collected
Personal Information We Collect
We collect your personal information in order to provide and continually improve Buy with Prime Services.
Here are the types of information we gather:
- Information You Give Us: We collect any information you provide in relation to Buy with Prime Services. Click here to see examples of information you give us.
- Automatic Information: We automatically collect certain types of information when you interact with Buy with Prime Services. Click here to see examples of information we collect automatically.
- Information from Other Sources: We might collect information about you from other sources, including service providers, partners, and publicly available sources. Click here to see examples of information we collect from other sources.
How We Use Personal Information
We use your personal information to operate, provide, and improve Buy with Prime Services. Our purposes for using personal information include:
- Provide Buy with Prime Services: We use your personal information to provide Buy with Prime Services and process transactions related to Buy with Prime Services, including registrations, subscriptions, purchases, and payments.
- Measure, Support, and Improve Buy with Prime Services: We use your personal information to measure use of, analyze performance of, fix errors in, provide support for, improve, and develop Buy with Prime Services.
- Recommendations and Personalization: We use your personal information to recommend Buy with Prime Services and other services provided by Amazon and its affiliates that might be of interest to you, identify your preferences, and personalize your experience with Buy with Prime Services.
- Comply with Legal Obligations: In certain cases, we have a legal obligation to collect, use, or retain your personal information.
- Communicate with You: We use your personal information to communicate with you in relation to Buy with Prime Services via different channels (e.g., by phone, email, chat) and to respond to your requests.
- Marketing: We use your personal information to market and promote Buy with Prime Services and other services provided by Amazon and its affiliates to you.
- Fraud and Abuse Prevention and Credit Risks: We use your personal information to prevent and detect fraud and abuse in order to protect your security, and the security of Amazon and others. We may also use scoring methods to assess and manage credit risks.
- Purposes for Which We Seek Your Consent: We may also ask for your consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you.
How We Share Personal Information
Information about you is an important part of our business and we are not in the business of selling your personal information to others. We share personal information only as described below and with Amazon.com, Inc. and the subsidiaries that Amazon.com, Inc. controls that are either subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include: providing order shipment tracking information, delivering Buy with Prime hardware, sending communications, processing payments, providing tax calculation services, assessing credit and compliance risks, analyzing data, providing marketing and sales assistance (including advertising and event management), conducting customer relationship management, and providing training. These third-party service providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process that information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by applicable data protection law.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or services. In such transactions, personal information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the individual consents otherwise). Also, in the unlikely event that Amazon or substantially all of its assets are acquired, your information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of Us and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce or apply our terms and other agreements, or protect the rights, property, or security of Amazon, you, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud prevention and detection and credit risk reduction.
- At Your Option: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when personal information about you might be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Location of Personal Information
Amazon is located in the United States, and our affiliated companies are located throughout the world. Depending on the scope of your interactions with Buy with Prime Services, your personal information may be stored in or accessed from multiple countries, including the United States. Whenever we transfer personal information to other jurisdictions, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by applicable data protection laws.
How We Secure Information
At Amazon, security is our highest priority. We design our systems with your security and privacy in mind.
- We protect the security of your information during transmission to or from Buy with Prime websites, applications, products, or services by using encryption protocols and software.
- We follow the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) when handling credit card data.
- We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage, and disclosure of personal information. Our security procedures mean that we may request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computers, devices, and applications. We recommend using a unique password for your Buy with Prime account that is not used for other online accounts. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
Access and Choice
You can view, update, and delete certain information about your account and your interactions with Buy with Prime Services. Click here for a list of examples of information that you can access. If you cannot access or update your information yourself, you can always contact us for assistance.
You have choices about the collection and use of your personal information. Buy with Prime Services includes settings that provide you with options as to how your information is being used. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of certain Buy with Prime Services.
- Account Information: If you want to add, update, or delete information related to your account, please go to the Buy with Prime Merchant Console or the Buy with Prime Partner Portal. When you update or delete any information, we usually keep a copy of the prior version for our records.
- Communications: If you do not want to receive promotional messages from us, please unsubscribe using the unsubscribe link in the promotional emails we sent you.
- Browser and Devices: The Help feature on most browsers and devices will tell you how to prevent your browser or device from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
- Buy with Prime Partners: Buy with Prime partners can add, update, or delete information in the Buy with Prime Partner Portal.
Children's Personal Information
We don’t provide Buy with Prime Services for purchase by children. If you’re under 18, you may use Buy with Prime Services only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Retention of Personal Information
We keep your personal information to enable your continued use of Buy with Prime Services, for as long as it is required in order to fulfill the relevant purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as may be required by law (including for tax and accounting purposes), or as otherwise communicated to you. How long we retain specific personal information varies depending on the purpose for its use, and we will delete your personal information in accordance with applicable law.
Contacts, Notices, and Revisions
If you have any concern about privacy at Buy with Prime, you may contact us at the address below:
Amazon.com Services LLC
410 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109-5210
ATTN: Amazon Legal
If you interact with Buy with Prime Services on behalf of or through your organization, then your personal information may also be subject to your organization’s privacy practices, and you should direct privacy inquiries to your organization.
Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice may also change. You should check our website frequently to see recent changes. You can see the date on which the latest version of this Privacy Notice was posted. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all personal information we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of personal information collected in the past without informing affected customers and giving them a choice.
EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield
We do not rely on the Privacy Shield but continue to keep to the commitments that we made when we certified to the Privacy Shield.
Amazon.com Services LLC participates in the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield frameworks. Click here to learn more.
Additional State-Specific Privacy Disclosures
These additional state-specific privacy disclosures, which serve as Notice at Collection under the California Privacy Rights Act, are required by the California Privacy Rights Act, Colorado Privacy Act, Connecticut Data Privacy Act, Utah Consumer Privacy Act, and Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act and are effective as of June 29, 2023:
Categories of personal information collected. The personal information that we may collect, or may have collected from consumers in the preceding twelve months, falls into the following categories established by the California Privacy Rights Act, depending on how you engage with Buy with Prime Services:
- Identifiers, such as your name, alias, address, phone numbers, IP address, or your Buy with Prime account log-in information;
- personal information, such as a credit card number or other payment information;
- information that may reveal age, gender, race, or other protected classifications, for example if we conduct user surveys or analysis;
- commercial information, such as purchase activity;
- internet or other electronic network activity information, including content interaction information, such as content downloads, streams, and playback details;
- biometric information, such as your voice or appearance, for example if you choose to participate in a demonstration of a speech or image recognition service;
- geolocation data, such as your address information;
- audio, visual, electronic or other similar information, including when you communicate with us by phone or otherwise;
- professional or employment-related information, for example data you may provide about your business;
- inference data, such as information about your preferences; and
- education information, such as information about enrollment status, fields of study, or degrees, honors, and awards received.
We collect this information from you, automatically through your interaction with Buy with Prime Services, or from third parties. For more information about the personal information we collect, click here. We collect this information for the business and commercial purposes described in the “How We Use Personal Information” section above.
Categories of personal information disclosed for a business purpose. The personal information that we may have disclosed about consumers for a business purpose in the preceding twelve months falls into the following categories established by the California Privacy Rights Act, depending on how you engage with Buy with Prime Services:
- Identifiers, such as your name, address, phone numbers, or IP address, for example if we use a third-party carrier to deliver Buy with Prime hardware;
- personal information, such as a credit card number or other payment information, for example if we use a third-party payment processor;
- information that may reveal age, gender, race, or other protected classifications, for example if we conduct user surveys or analysis using a third-party service provider;
- commercial information, such as the details of a product or service you purchased if a third-party service provider is assisting to provide that product or service to you;
- internet or other electronic network activity information, such as if we use a third-party service provider to help us gather reports for analyzing the health of our devices and services;
- biometric information, for example if you choose to participate in a demonstration of certain Buy with Prime Services facilitated by a
third-party service provider;
- geolocation data, for example if we enable transportation services from a third party in connection with a Buy with Prime event;
- audio, visual, electronic or other similar information, for example if a third-party service provider reviews recordings of customer support phone calls for quality assurance purposes;
- professional or employment-related information, for example if we provide information to a third-party service provider for verification or registration as part of Buy with Prime Services;
- education information; and
- inference data, for example if we use a third-party service provider to store information about your preferences.
For more information about the personal information we may disclose to third parties for a business purpose, click here.
Advertising. We provide ad companies with information that allows them to serve you with more useful and relevant Buy with Prime ads and to measure their effectiveness. Some ad companies also use this information to serve you relevant ads from other advertisers. Any personal information we may have shared for the purpose of cross-context behavioral advertising, as that term is defined by the California Privacy Rights Act, in the twelve months prior to the effective date of these disclosures falls into the following categories:
- identifiers such as a cookie or a device identifier; we never share your name or other information that directly identifies you.
- internet or other electronic network activity information, such as whether you clicked on a link or other measures of ad effectiveness; for example, if you have already clicked on the sign-up link on a Buy with Prime website, we will share an advertising identifier and data about that event so that you will not be served an ad to sign up for Buy with Prime again.
The categories of third parties with whom Amazon may share personal information for the purpose of cross-context behavioral advertising are identified in the “How We Share Personal Information” section of this Privacy Notice.
Your Data Rights. You may have certain data rights under state privacy laws, including to request information about the collection of your personal information by us, to access your personal information in a portable format, and to correct or delete your personal information. If you wish to do any of these things, please contact us here (for users with a Buy with Prime account) or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the address under Contacts, Notices, and Revisions above (for users with Buy with Prime account, any authorized agent of a Buy with Prime user, and visitors to Buy with Prime websites without a Buy with Prime account). Additionally, you may have the right to opt out of the sharing of your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising, as defined by the California Privacy Rights Act. To do so, please visit “Your Ads Privacy Choices.” If you enact the Global Privacy Control (GPC) opt-out signal on your browser, we will honor your opt-out preference accordingly. You may also have the right to appeal the denial of any of these rights by submitting a form that will be provided to you if we deny a data request. Depending on your data choices, certain services may be limited or unavailable.
To ensure the security of your Buy with Prime account, we will generally ask you to verify your request using the contact information you have already provided.
No sale of personal information. We do not sell or share any personal information of consumers, as those terms are defined under the California Privacy Rights Act.
California Privacy Rights Act Sensitive Personal Information Disclosure. The categories of data that we collect and disclose for a business purpose include “sensitive personal information” as defined under the California Privacy Rights Act. We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information for any purpose not expressly permitted by the California Privacy Rights Act.
California Privacy Rights Act Retention Disclosure. We keep your personal information to enable your continued use of Buy with Prime Services, for as long as it is required in order to fulfill the relevant purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as permitted or as may be required by law (including for tax and accounting purposes), or as otherwise communicated to you.
California Privacy Rights Act Non-discrimination Statement. We will not discriminate against any consumer for exercising their rights under the California Privacy Rights Act.
California Privacy Rights Act, Colorado Privacy Act, Connecticut Data Privacy Act, Utah Consumer Privacy Act, and Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act De-identified Data Disclosure. We may use de-identified data in some instances. We either maintain such data without attempting to re-identify it or treat such data as personal data subject to applicable law.
Colorado Privacy Act Profiling Disclosure. Amazon does not engage in profiling of consumers in furtherance of automated decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects, as those terms are defined under the Colorado Privacy Act.
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Give Us
You provide information to us when you:
- search for, subscribe to, or purchase Buy with Prime Services;
- create or administer your Buy with Prime account (and you might have more than one account if you have used more than one email address when using Buy with Prime Services);
- configure your settings for, provide data access permissions for, or otherwise interact with Buy with Prime Services;
- register for or attend a Buy with Prime event;
- communicate with us by phone, email, or otherwise;
- complete a questionnaire, a support ticket, or other information request forms;
- post on Buy with Prime websites or participate in community features; and
- employ notification services.
Depending on your engagement with Buy with Prime Services, you might supply us with such information as:
- your name, email address, physical address, phone number, and other similar contact information;
- payment information, including credit card and bank account information;
- information about your location;
- information about your organization and your contacts, such as colleagues or people within your organization;
- usernames, aliases, roles, and other authentication and security credential information;
- content of feedback, testimonials, inquiries, support tickets, and any phone conversations, chat sessions and emails with or to us;
- your image (still, video, and in some cases 3-D), voice, and other identifiers that are personal to you when you attend a Buy with Prime event or use certain Buy with Prime Services;
- information regarding identity, including government-issued identification information;
- corporate and financial information; and
- VAT numbers and other tax identifiers.
We collect information automatically when you:
- visit, interact with, or use Buy with Prime Services (including when you use your computer or other device to interact with Buy with Prime Services);
- download content from us;
- open emails or click on links in emails from us; and
- interact or communicate with us (such as when you attend a Buy with Prime event or when you request customer support).
Examples of the information we automatically collect include:
- network and connection information, such as the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or other device to the Internet and information about your Internet service provider;
- computer and device information, such as device, application, or browser type and version, browser plug-in type and version, operating system, or time zone setting;
- the location of your device or computer;
- authentication and security credential information;
- content interaction information, such as content downloads, streams, and playback details, including duration and number of simultaneous streams and downloads;
- Buy with Prime Services metrics, such as program usage, occurrences of technical errors, diagnostic reports, your settings preferences, backup information, API calls, and other logs;
- the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through, and from our website (including date and time) and Buy with Prime Services, content you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, and page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs);
- email addresses and phone numbers used to contact us; and
- identifiers and information contained in cookies (see our Cookie Notice).
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include:
- marketing, sales generation, and recruitment information, including your name, email address, physical address, phone number, and other similar contact information;
- subscription, purchase, support, or other information about your interactions with products and services offered by us, our affiliates, or third parties in relation to Buy with Prime Services;
- search results and links, including paid listings (such as sponsored links); and
- credit history information from credit bureaus.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access through Buy with Prime Services include:
- your name, email address, physical address, phone number, and other similar contact information;
- usernames, aliases, roles, and other authentication and security credential information;
- your subscription, purchase, usage, billing, and payment history;
- payment settings, such as payment instrument information and billing preferences;
- tax information; and
- email communication and notification settings.
You can access the information above through Buy with Prime Services, such as the Buy with Prime Merchant Console or the Buy with Prime Partner Portal (including the Account details, Team, Payments, Taxes, and Amazon Services pages).